Monday, May 4, 2009

Operator card worth considering for boaters

For many Manitobans, summer means spending time at some of Manitoba’s plentiful beaches and lakes. If you’re planning to get away to cottage country this summer and you think you might be operating a boat, you may want to consider obtaining a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC).
While not required this summer, Transport Canada has stated that as of September 15, 2009, all operators of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes will be required to comply with the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations, which entails possession of an operator card.
To obtain an operator card, you need to pass an accredited test. Transport Canada doesn’t offer boating safety courses or testing, but its website does include information on accredited course providers in most areas. You are not required to take a course before writing the test, but it is recommended. The courses generally cover a range of basic boating information, including safety equipment requirements, explanations of the buoy system, reviews of all pertinent regulations and how to respond in an emergency situation.
Once obtained, the operator card is good for life.
For more information, visit Transport Canada’s website at www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety.

Modern Earth Web Design, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada